Monday, July 5, 2010

Art Attack!

I've always believed that art is meant to be messy, at least while you're doing it, and there is no better testimony to this than Neil Buchanan.  I like the fact that he is not a trained artist and is actually a musician.  So I guess in a way, it's like saying that if you love something, you'll always find a way of going back to it.  Before he became a TV host, he was actually rejected at an art school. 

All of the works in the show are conceptualized by him.  Before anything, he does his sketches.  Even the big art attacks are practiced beforehand in a warehouse.  What strikes me most about Neil is the feeling you get that anybody can be an artist.  I especially like the paper mache' projects that he does, and that's what I use for teaching art as well.  (Thus, the messy part).  I also like the cheats that he shares in drawing.  

I spent most afternoons watching all his shows along with my son.  He's quite funny and entertaining, definitely not the typical artist = )  I wish he can go to the Philippines so I can meet him.  And hopefully, with the items in our yard, do a big ART ATTACK! = ) 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment