Friday, July 2, 2010

WHAT MAKES AN ARTIST?


I had a friend once who told me that he is uncomfortable with being called a writer, unless it is a job description. I guess it is true. My other friend, who asked me for a quotation in her magazine article quoted my words as “artist Jinkee Reyes says….” And I couldn’t help but cringe. How does one transcend from being one who writes for the pure love of it, and another who has writing as a job but never really writes for leisure. Or one who paints as a hobby as opposed to one who is a graphic artist, is quite good with technical stuff but does not really have any sense of style (Sorry haha). What is an artist indeed?

I guess in my own opinion, you are an artist if you choose to express yourself in different ways and means, not necessarily for being recognized but because you wouldn’t have it any other way.

I once organized a painting exhibit, that featured some of my paintings. Someone told me my paintings had a lot of heart. I think it sort of meant that it wasn’t that good, but because it was my choice of colors, I would choose heart over technique anytime.

You are an artist if you see things in your own way, and are not afraid to create.

You are an artist if you make things happen. You don’t just watch in the sidelines, but you do something and MAKE things happen. 
You are an artist if you pick up that paintbrush or that pen (or laptop) and start doing what it is that makes you happy.
I also read somewhere that it is NOT your mission to create something beautiful for others. Just do what you have to do, and the world will live with it.

It is your mission to CREATE, to EXPRESS YOURSELF.

Go ahead. Start. = ) I just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment